Hello Firefall Fans! This week, Frank and Sara were joined by Chris Young, aka “Bludge,” our Senior Linux Administrator. They hopped in game with a vehicle and Kream for some sick Recluse action. An amazing Dreadnaught papercraft stole the spotlight in this week’s Do You Even Art Bro, and Frank gave the special announcement that we talked about yesterday!
In early June, we’re going to finally start releasing some of the information we’ve been talking about but not talking about for the past couple weeks, including a special sneak peek of an area we've been working on on June 6th. However, since you guys have been so patient and awesome, we wanted to do a little something for you so you weren’t sitting in silence for a month. For the rest of May, we’ll set a goal for a number of viewers for Firefall Live every week. If we reach those goals, we’ll release some hints about the new area that we’ll be giving you a sneak peak of on the 6th. On top of that, every week we’ll also be giving out some great Roccat keyboards, mice, headsets, and mouse pads to our viewers, so make sure to tell your friends and tune in!
- The Public Test Server downtime has begun! We brought down the server so we can use it for some internal testing on the content we’ve been working on. When we’re ready, we’ll bring it back on an invite-only basis for a little while before we open it back up to everyone. Sign ups for the closed testing should be opening up soon, so keep an eye out for an announcement about that!
- The Army Relations Program is starting up. If you’re an army leader or officer who took part in one of the meetings last week, you should see the “Firefall Army Relations” subforum all the way at the bottom of the list, and can join in on the army-related discussions that are already ongoing in that section.
- Don’t forget that the Recluse weekend starts today at 5pm PDT!
Frank, Sara, and Chris were joined in game by a vehicle and Kream. The gang hopped in their Recluse frames and took back some watchtowers, knocked out a melding tornado, and even did a Baneclaw run! They also dragged some users into their Teamspeak channel for our weekly Copa Call-In Q and A session.
Where did the Recluse frame come from?
- Many people will remember the old Medic frame that we had before it was redesigned and renamed to the Biotech we know now. At the time, we had a basic design for a separate frame called the Toxin, which was going to be the damage dealing version of the Medic. More recently, when we started doing different versions of the same frame, a lot of the Toxin design work was brought back and iterated on, and thus the Recluse was created.
Are you guys going to try and capitalize on the game's verticality with any of your upcoming areas?
- Sara has been lucky enough to be helping out the World Building team recently, and one of the main things they like to stress is “keep in mind that we’re not just moving left or right in this game.” They have to think about spots that maybe some frames can’t get to and how that isn’t fair. They’re always keeping in mind all of the different frames and their abilities and how they can use the playspace. That’s definitely something that the team is always looking at when building new areas.
Can we expect any more interesting flying creatures, like jump jetting Chosen?
- It's something that we definitely would like to do, but it's a matter of the technical limitations right now. Adding jump jets to the Chosen would greatly increase the strain each one would put on the AI server to the point of breaking. We definitely recognize that there are some problems with the creatures being uninteresting right now, and we're absolutely working on creating some more interesting creature types and encounters.
Do You Even Art Bro?
Dreadnaught Papercraft by Fabricio21RJ (WINNER)
"Stop lazing around and get some content going."
"After P-Body destroyed part of the testing facility's DB, the "get well soon" turret GLaDOS sent to Chell wound up on Fadedpez's desk."
"Sic Runners Brah."
"'I still can't figure out how Terromoto got so talented and handsome' - Fadedpez, an idiota."
"Boxes of cookies for each tier of progression? Ship it (with Fedex)."
"Behold the Community Manager in his natural habitat. All Aperture safety rules followed by the turret."
"I have no idea what I'm doing."
"Wow these caption suggestions suck."
That's it for this week gang, make sure to tune in again next Friday for some more Firefall action, plus some awesome giveaways!