This week on Firefall live we finally had new things to talk about! We had a special mega edition of Do You Even Art Bro, and finally showed off the video flythrough of an upcoming area that we've been hinting at for the past month. To round out the show, we showed off some of the new visual progression for the Firecat and Tigerclaw battleframes, and gave away some more awesome Roccat gaming gear! Watch the full replay on Youtube here.
- This weekend, to celebrate our Mobility Weekend event, we're hosting a fun in-game race! There will be three different timeslots, for Oceania, Europe, and North America. For more details on the exact time slots and how to participate, check out the forum thread here!
- Last weekend we had our in-house Invitational Testing event. We had almost 100 players, both new and old, come into the office and test out some of the changes that we're just now starting to reveal to the public. We got some fantastic feedback, and the overall response was very positive. We're excited to share more information about what we showed them over the coming weeks!
- Signups for our closed PTS testing are opening. Details on exactly what you need to do to sign up will be posted on the forums later today, so keep an eye out for that!
- Our Path to Launch blog series started this week, talking about all of the big things that we're adding to the game. This first installment discussed the upcoming changes to our progression and itemization systems. Make sure to read the full blog here if you haven't already.
Special Sneak Peek
As promised, this week we finally showed off the sneak peek video that we spent all of May hinting towards. Without further ado, here it is!
In our first Path to Launch blog that went up this past Tuesday, we talked about the addition of visual progression to Firefall, and showed off some pictures of what the Accord Assault will look like as it levels up. This week on Firefall Live, we showed off the visual progression for the other two Assault frames: the Omnidyne-M Tigerclaw and the Astrek Firecat.
I've been seeing a lot of loot disappear before I have a chance to pick it up, is something being done about that?
- That's something that we probably won't fix on the live servers right away, but we'll make sure that it isn't happening on our internal build. Right now, with the way our internal build differs from the live one significantly, it's difficult for us to make small adjustments like that to live without breaking everything.
Will there be more equippable visual customizations like what the Arsenal has now?
- Not with this update, but it's definitely a possibility for the future.
With the changes to the item system and the removal of things like servos, has the base speed been changed at all?
- Yes, the base speed is much faster than in the current (live) system.
Will modules and cores be craftable?
- Cores will be craftable, yes, but modules will not be. Those will need to be found in the world or bought off the marketplace.
In the future will there be an option to hide the User Interface? I like to play first person and I hate when there's a lot of stuff on the screen.
- It is possible to turn off the UI using the ui_alpha and drawui commands, though those are mostly all-or-nothing options. You can also customize the UI a good amount in the Options menu.
Are you guys going to be doing anything else with the Beta Crystite vendor?
- We don't have any plans to do anything more with that vendor, no. The Beta Crystite system was designed to be exclusive for players who played a long time ago, and it won't be returning. That vendor will get removed with the next update.
What can we do to gear up for this big change in terms of our XP, items, resources, etc?
- For levelling, the lifetime XP earned on a frame will be transferred directly to the new system, so frames that are maxed will be max level, and frames that are partially progressed will become a level appropriate to how much they were progressed. As for everything else, we're going to be announcing our migration plan soon, so keep an eye out for that.
What is happening to passives?
- Passives as they exist now are getting removed. Many of the current passive effects are being reworked into effects gained from specific items or perks.
Are we still going to have a set limit on the amount of perks we can have?
- You'll still be limited to 10, plus a cap of however many perk points you have (so whichever cap you hit first). Perks in general are getting worked on to rework or maybe remove some of the more imbalanced or abusive ones.
When the Arsenal levels up, is he going to get more stuff on him, or is he going to lose stuff?
- The idea for all of the visual updates is as you level up, you get more tech on your frame, so it will likely get bigger instead of smaller.
Does the maximum deployable limit apply to all deployables, including things like overclocking stations or heavy turrets?
- That's a good question, it probably only works for things that are flagged as having multiple deployables (like multi-turret). Everything else is probably limited to one. We can look into that to confirm though.
Is there going to be any way to modify specific jump jet behavior, such as increasing vertical or horizontal thrust independently?
- There's nothing currently in the plans like that, no. Through cores you'll be able to change things like your overall energy pool or recharge rate, but not more specific attributes such as those.
Do You Even Art Bro? Special Edition!
This week we had 13 different pieces to choose from in our special edition of "Do You Even Art Bro?" These entries came from our first Fan Art Challenge, in which players were challenged to make a fan art piece based on their in-game character. Here are the entries! Please mouse over an image to see the artist's name, and click it to view the full-size version.
Honorable mention: KaosEater submitted this to the contest, but didn't want it to be submitted to DYEAB (because he's working on a separate submission for it). We still wanted to show it off though, because it's super awesome!
Guess That FauFau!
We featured a new segment this week called "Guess That FauFau." Those of you who follow us on our social media platforms will know that every Wednesday we post a silhouette of the creature that will be shown off in our New Creature Feature the following day. One of our community members, Souperior, likes to make guesses as to what he thinks the creature will look like.
Impressively close if you ask us; it looks like someone has been slipping Souperior some inside information!
See, I do have friends!
Give that poor guy 2 same sized monitors. You can see he's suffering.
I pretend to love them so they don't hate me for pointing out all their mistakes.
They don't always like it when I take their pictures but they'll learn to love it.
You could say this is my "chosen" list.
Dexter is my dad.
Gotta collect 'em all.
Our winners this week were Dearmydeer (headset), Dagron1 (Keyboard), and Jr_selsius (combo pack). As always, huge thank you to Roccat for providing us with this awesome gear to give away to our viewers!
That's all for this week, gang. Please be sure to check out the Path to Launch blog if you haven't already, and keep an eye out next week for our second installment. We'll discuss the second blog on next week's Firefall Live, as well as having Lukasz, one of our UI magicians on to talk about what he's been working on. Thanks for tuning in!
Firefall is the much-anticipated free-to-play sci-fi MMO shooter from Red 5 Studios. Click here to register and join us in game NOW for our Open Beta test.
Can’t wait for launch this year? Neither can we! Stay up-to-date with the latest news, media, and giveaways by liking us on Facebook, following us on Twitter, and subscribing to our YouTube channel. And follow us on Twitch to catch our weekly livestreams!