Hello Firefall fans! Today, while our servers are down, we wanted to take the opportunity to discuss with you some updates we’re making to systems not covered in the Path to Launch blogs. This includes an updated glider pad system, the reintroduction of Red Bean rewards, a simplified vending machine token system, and details about how Pilot Tokens work with the new progression system.
We have made a few exciting adjustments to the glider pad system in order to make it more rewarding to use. To start with, all deployable gliders used from a player’s inventory now have a 120 second shared cooldown with two exceptions. The Adventurer’s Glider Pad (which has had its cooldown reduced from 60 minutes to 30), and the Accord Emergency Glider (which is a reward from the Resource Migration Event and has a 15 minute cooldown) both have their own individual cooldown.
We are introducing special attributes to some of the existing gliders which, when you have them in your inventory, provide a bonus for any glider pad you use (not including the two exceptions from above). These attributes are as follows:
- The Reusable Glider Pad (the standard pad available from the Red Bean store) has been renamed to the Quickened Glider Pad and given the “Quickened” attribute. For every glider pad in your inventory with the “Quickened” attribute, the cooldown for all glider pads you own is reduced by 3 seconds.
- The Cherub Glider Pad has been given the “Lofty” attribute. For every glider pad in your inventory with the “Lofty” attribute, the height to which you are lifted on using any glider pad is slightly increased.
- The VIP Boosted Glider Pad discussed in Path to Launch Blog #4 will also share its “Boosted” attribute with any glider pad you use. This means that any player with an active VIP membership will receive a two-second boost upon using any glider pad.
To clarify, these bonuses are applied to you when using any glider pads (including those stationed out in the world), not to anyone who uses a glider pad you deploy. This means if you use a glider pad deployed by another player, you will only receive the bonuses warranted by the glider pads in your inventory, not the ones in theirs.
Red Bean Rewards
With tomorrow’s release of our launch patch, we will also be bringing back Red Bean Rewards! Many of you may remember Cloudchaser’s forum post on the subject from a while back, but for anyone who missed it, here are the details.
When you purchase Red Bean packs of certain sizes, you will also get a number of “Red Bean Reward Tokens” dependent on the size of the pack:
- $20: 1 Token
- $50: 3 Tokens
- $100: 7 Tokens
These tokens can be used at the vending machine and give rewards such as VIP membership time, Silver and Gold Vending Tokens, and exclusive cosmetics that can only be acquired through these tokens. In addition, the reward pool for the Red Bean Reward Tokens will include one “epic” item which will be changed out seasonally. At launch, this first seasonal item is called the Cobalt Phoenix Glider Pad (pictured above), which has the “Quickened” attribute (which functions as described above).
Vending Machine tokens have been condensed and simplified into a much more straightforward and rewarding system. There are now only four types of vending tokens:
- Red Bean Reward Tokens: (described above)
- Copper Vending Tokens: Copper Vending Tokens are given as a reward for all completed ARES Jobs. These tokens reward crystite plus one “Copper Reward Item.” Copper Reward Items include a variety of consumables (health packs, one time use LGVs, etc) as well as a small chance at a permanent cosmetic unlock. On rare occasions, Copper Tokens can instead reward you with a Silver Token.
- Silver Vending Tokens: Silver Vending Tokens are craftable. These tokens reward crystite, one Copper Reward Item, and one “Silver Reward Item.” Silver Reward Items include more valuable consumables as well as a larger chance of getting a permanent cosmetic unlock. On rare occasions, Silver Tokens can instead reward you with a Gold Token.
- Gold Vending Tokens: Gold Vending Tokens are purchased from the Red Bean Store. These tokens reward crystite, one Copper Reward Item, one Silver Reward Item, and one “Gold Reward Item.” Gold Reward Items are always a permanent unlock such as cosmetics, warpaints, patterns, or deployables. In addition, the Gold Reward pool will include one “epic” item which will be changed out seasonally. At launch, this seasonal item will be the “Celestial Wings” glider (pictured above) which is a reusable glider that does not deploy a pad and instead immediately propels the user into the air and deploys large, majestic wings (can be used in midair).
Pilot Tokens will still be used to unlock advanced battleframes (for 10 tokens). However, instead of earning Pilot Tokens one at a time, you will now earn 10 Pilot Tokens when you get a battleframe to the level cap. In addition, we have added in an additional use for those players who have tokens that they don’t want to use on unlocking battleframes. There will be a vendor in Devil’s Tusk who will sell level 40 Epic-rarity modules for 2 Pilot Tokens each.
In addition, we have added a new way for players to unlock battleframes, known as "Pilot Licenses." These are consumables that, when used, permanently unlock an advanced battleframe. These Pilot Licenses are part of the prize pool for Gold Vending Tokens, and can be sold on the marketplace or sent directly to other players via the mail system.
That’s all for now everyone! We hope you like these changes. Remember, our servers will come back up for our “early access” period tomorrow at 10am where all existing Beta players from prior to last Tuesday, and our new players who have purchased a Firefall Launch Pack, will get a first chance at playing the new version of Firefall! We hope you’re as excited to experience the changes as we are to hear what you think. There will also be another Path to Launch blog tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that as well. We can’t wait to see you in game!
Firefall is the much-anticipated free-to-play sci-fi MMO shooter from Red 5 Studios. Play for FREE starting July 29th, 2014 on Steam! Want access earlier than that? Click here for more information on our early access program!
Can’t wait for launch on July 29th? Neither can we! Stay up-to-date with the latest news, media, and giveaways by liking us on Facebook, following us on Twitter, and subscribing to our YouTube channel. And follow us on Twitch to catch our weekly livestreams!